Thursday, June 9, 2011

Time to Move On

Let me start this blog by saying, we could not have had better hands-on caregivers in the Hospital we are in. The nurses, staff and several doctors have been OUTSTANDING and only want the best for Battboy. But I have ran into some walls in getting the care I THINK he deserves. So I am starting the process to have him transferred to Vanderbilt. It seems the GI doctors here only want to try things we have already tried in the past that didn't work then, & from what I see so far, aren't working now. We have been here 2 weeks today and things aren't getting any better, & very well maybe getting worse.
I have decided I am not going to allow guessing games to continue when it comes to his treatment. I will no longer be caught up in doctors egos. There should be NOTHING under this roof that should be put above the care of kids in need.
I could NOT be more appreciative to the MANY staff members who have showed us nothing but compassion & respect. I feel honored to have met several of them. I am sorry that I have to go SO far to get a second opinion, but it is a small price to pay to have my child tolerating feeds.
On a side note, if you have a child who needs hospital care in my hometown, you can ONLY take them to ONE of the 4 hospitals here, hope it goes well if you have to visit it.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Help me Hold on!

9 days in...OK, It seems with GI issues for Battboy, that I am caught in the middle. I want a second opinion. This doesn't seem so illogical when it is your child. Just another specialist to look at Battboy & give their evaluation. But for us it is a HUGE deal. 6 yrs ago, I was in a similar predicament & chose the second opinion. This led to why Battboy has been without GI doc for 6+ yrs... They have egos. I understand the concept, but when those egos have direct effects on your child, things look different. I just want to make the most educated decisions when it concerns Battboy, butt I am stuck in the middle. If I ask for second opinion, & don't like it, then the group following us now won't treat us. I could be jumping the gun on this observation, but I base it on past experiences.
I am going to call social work in tomorrow & discuss my concerns with them. They have the power to get all docs on the same page, or AT LEAST talking. I have no idea where to go from here, but I am NOT considering poking more holes in my child, until other options have been exhausted.  It seems sometimes that it is TOO much for a parent to ask.
I have always LOVED the hospital I have Battboy at, but if egos become a hurdle in getting treatment (desperately needed treatment) for my child, then I have to not only consider other options, I must DEMAND them.
This angel deserves SO much more than what he has been receiving here on his past few trips.
If you can't OR won't treat my child, tell me. Then I can move on. Don't leave me sitting here thinking you have SOME answers if you really don't, because that is MORE painful. More painful than some of these docs will ever realize.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Still Hoping

The past couple of days have had ups & downs. But as of today, all these issues with Battboy are pretty much the same as the day we came in. I have been hoping against hope that he would just start processing his food once he was completely "cleaned" out. After starting his feeds, 24 hrs later, we are back to square one. So chances of us getting stable enough with food processing to get out of hospital without making major decisions is looking slimmer & slimmer. We have to see what tomorrow brings...